Consul General Prakash Gupta paid an official visit to Taizhou (Jiangsu) on 16 January 2017. During the visit, Consul General called on Party Secretary H.E. LAN SHAOMIN and discussed ways and means to further strengthen bilateral cooperation between India and Taizhou. An Annual Plan of Cooperation for 2017 covering political, economic, commercial and cultural exchanges was also discussed with Taizhou leadership.
2. Since Taizhou also hosts China’s first ever - China Medical City, discussions were held to promote greater cooperation in the field of pharmaceuticals and biotechnology between Indian and Chinese companies. Taizhou leadership extended an invitation to Indian companies to participate in the Annual Pharma Exposition held each year in October.
3. During the visit, Consul General proposed holding of an India Culture Week along with a Business Forum in Taizhou, at mutually convenient dates later this year. The India Culture week would showcase an Indian Film Festival, Indian Food Festival, exhibition of Indian Paintings along with Indian cultural dance performances for local Taizhou residents. Separately, it was also discussed to organise a large scale celebration of 3rd International Day of Yoga in Taizhou during June 2017.
4. Consul General also extended an invitation to Taizhou Party Secretary to lead a high level investors delegation from Eastern China region to visit India later next year and requested them to encourage Chinese investments into sectors like Infrastructure, Urban Transportation, Renewable Energy and Hi-tech industries, taking advantage of the policies being offered to foreign investors under the Make in India campaign.
5. Earlier in the day, Consul General also visited the China Medical City and held discussions with Chinese pharmaceutical companies on the possibilities of collaboration with Indian counterpart companies. It may be noted that China Medical City is China’s only Central Government approved large scale facility specializing in pharmaceutical and medical technologies, with nearly 600 companies participating.
6. Taizhou (located at two and half hour’s drive from Shanghai) is an important industrial and pharmaceutical hub in the Jiangsu Province of Eastern China. In 2015, Indian pharmaceutical companies had participated at the Taizhou Pharma Expo and as per Taizhou Municipal Government, they are in discussions with a leading Indian pharma player for the possibility of setting up its unit at China Medical city in Taizhou.
16 January 2017
Enclosure : Select pics of the event