Consulate General of India
Subject: India Week celebrations & Indian China (Huzhou) Business and Investment Forum to commence in Huzhou today
Consulate General of India in Shanghai along with Huzhou Municipal People’s Government are jointly organizing an India China (Huzhou) Business and Investment Forum and India Week celebrations in Huzhou (Zhejiang) beginning today evening. CGI Shanghai’s template of cooperation with Huzhou is a unique initiative bringing together economic, commercial and cultural aspects and intends to transport a truly Indian experience into Huzhou for one full week.
2. The city of Huzhou in Zhejiang province – located at an hour’s drive from Shanghai - has been a key business partner for India in the Eastern China Region (ECR), and Huzhou companies have shown keen interest in investing in India as part of the projects available under the Make in India Initiative. There is also considerable interest amongst Huzhou people in knowing about Indian culture, films and art forms and given this context, Huzhou has been chosen as the second city in Zhejiang Province (after Wenzhou) for launching the India Week celebrations.
3. Huzhou Party Secretary Qiu Dongyao is likely to receive Indian delegation led by Consul General Prakash Gupta, who will be accompanied by nearly 25 CEOs of leading Indian companies who would be participating in the Business and Investment Forum, which will be held on 1st November in Huzhou, where Indian companies would be introducing the latest investment opportunities in India in sectors like Smart Cities, Infrastructure Development, Urban Transportation and Power Sector, Banking, IT and Finance, which are now available to Chinese companies under the Make in India programme. A series of B2B meetings have also been planned for participating Indian companies with their Chinese counterparts.
4. Mr. Nagraj Naidu, Director General of Investment Trade and Promotion Division of Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India is expected to deliver the key note address and introduce the investment environment and guidelines in India for benefit of companies from Huzhou.
5. The India Week Celebrations are expected to commence with a cultural dance performance titled “Rhythms of Rajasthan”, where specially flown in Kalbelia dance troupe from Rajasthan, with support from Indian Council of Cultural Relations (ICCR), would be performing for 500 plus Huzhou audience at the Huzhou Grand theatreon the evening of 31st October.
6. Given the tremendous interest generated by Indian films amongst Chinese audiences, a week-long Indian Film Festival featuring eight of India’s most successful recent movies – (“PK” “Three Idiots” “Bhaag Milkha Bhaag” “Taare Zameen Par” “Queen” “English Vinglish” “Mary Kom” and “Villain” – all in Chinese) would also be available for viewing as part of the Indian Film Festival at the centrally located Huzhou Library auditorium.
7. Separately, art lovers from Huzhou would also get to view an exhibition of Indian paintings (drawn by Chinese veteran artist Wang Zhijie) titled “India through Chinese Eyes”, which will be on display for nearly three weeks at the prestigious Huzhou Museum. These set of thirty three paintings depict the various sights and flavours of India’s historical and tourism related places.
8. In addition, an Indian Food Festival will also be inaugurated on 1st November at Huzhou Dongwu New Century Grand Hotel showcasing select delicacies from Indian Food to culinary lovers from Huzhou. An Indian Chef is being stationed for a week in Huzhou to offer various varieties of Indian food to Huzhou people.
9. All in all, a truly Indian experience is being transported into Huzhou beginning today. It is expected that the Business and Investment Forum coupled with the series of Indian cultural events will foster a better understanding of Indian arts and culture in the minds of Huzhou people and further promote bilateral investments between India and the Eastern China region.
31 October, 2016