Emergency Certificate Passport and Related services

Emergency Certificate


  • Emergency certificate (EC) is a one-way travel document to India;
  • EC can be issued only on an individual’s formal request;
  • It is mandatory for an individual requesting an EC to apply in person at the Consulate. 
  • EC is issued to individuals who have lost their passports; their passports are damaged; or their passports have expired for a long time;
  • EC is issued only when a new passport cannot be issued without approval from India;
  • EC is issued primarily to facilitate the individual’s return to India in an emergency;
  • EC can be issued only when the individual’s Indian nationality is confirmed;
  • If an individual is under orders of deportation, the application should be submitted through the Chinese Government authority.  The EC will be delivered to the agency concerned and not to an agent or third party.

How to apply:

  • Please register online at http://www.passport.gov.in/nri/OnlineRegistration.jsp?pocode=CHNS and choose ‘reissue’ in the service desired box. Please submit the print-out at the Consulate after completing the unprinted portions of the application by hand, pasting the required no. of photos and enclosing the required documents. You can submit the online registered application any day during working hours (9 am to 12 pm) ignoring the date and time given by the system. The online registration is free of cost. 
  • Attach a self-attested photocopy of the following:
    • All previous passports in original, current passport in original and photocopy of the first two and last two pages, and of the page containing Chinese visa of the current passport.
      Proof of stay in China:
      • Driving license or
      • Water or landline telephone bill displaying applicant’s address or
      • House Lease Agreement  or
      • Bank account statement
  • If a student, current school/college/university ID, and Letter from school/college/university in China
  •  Indian Photo Identify Card – including Driving License, Ration Card, Election Commission ID, PAN card, or any other government issued document containing photo and indicating Indian nationality of the applicant
  • Birth Certificate
  •  Matriculation/Higher Secondary/School Leaving Certificate or any other school records from India
  • Original Police Report lodged with the Police about loss of passport
  • A letter from EXIT ENTRY BUREAU mentioning details of entry into China
  • A letter on a plain paper addressed to the Consulate General of India, Shanghai, explaining the circumstances of the loss of passport and as to the reason why an Emergency Certificate is required;


Emergency Certificate

RMB 110.00


The completed application along with enclosures [please bring along originals for verification and return] should be submitted at the counter of the Consulate General of India, Shanghai between 0930 and 1200 hours on any working dayFor security reasons, EC applications are accepted only from the applicants and not through third party.


The time of collection is from 1600-1700 hours on all working days.